UMP's Fan Box (Facebook)

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Trip Report: Aug 4 Joe's vs Pros at Kickers


The Kickers Poker Room crew really know how to host an event! I arrived early to make sure I got a seat, and have a little time to grab dinner, meet the folks who work at Kickers, and just network a little. The tournament tonight was up in Joe's Comedy Club. There was a cash table going when I arrived, and the charity volunteers were signing folks up for the tourney. I paid my money and drew a seat card out of the bucket.

Dinner downstairs at the restaurant was amazing - the Kicker's salad is very tasty - highly recommended! After dinner, it was time to play. There was a silent auction of sports equipment - jerseys, photos, equipment, etc - all autographed and authenticated. In hindsight - wish I would have bid on a few items!!

The tournament started a little late - there was a better than expected turn-out. The Kickers team added another seat to every table, and set up an 11th tournament table to accommodate all 110 Joe's and Pros in record time. Jeff introduced each pro was introduced before the cards flew - it was a really great welcome for each professional who came out to play, and a great opportunity for the players to match up the pro's names and faces.

Each tournament table had its own dealer, keeping the game moving, the bets and pots correct, and really adding to the great poker room atmosphere at Kickers. Floor people were easy to find and easy to get their attention. With all the great things about the whole night, I never won a pot. Seriously - never won a single pot!

Here's the good, bad and ugly of my tournament experience. Each pot at my table was a multi-way pot with four to seven player in each pot. Very few limped pots - no cheap flops. I got into a few hands with AK-off, AQ-off, small pocket pairs. Not bad cards, just never matched a flop, and never found myself in position to steal a pot with so many players paying to see the flop. Slowly but surely, my stack was evaporating.

Shortly after the break, I found myself in 3rd or 4th position with pocket 10's. The pot was raised in front of me to 500. I called, and so did four other players. The flop came 9-5-6 rainbow. First to act after the flop, all of a sudden, my 10-10 hand looked pretty good! I went all-in for another 2000 chips, hoping to take down the pot right there, or at lease narrow the field to one or two other players. *One* player folded - three of us were all-in with three callers. The turn and river didn't help or hurt anyone. Here's how it ended:

me, all-in #1: 10-10
caller #1: J-J
All-in #2: 5-5 for trips
All-in #3: 6-6 for trips
caller #2: 9-9 for the highest trips
caller #3: mucked

Three of us out in one hand!!! I was beat in so many ways, I'm still counting them up! Very unfortunate place to try to make a move... Here's the player who won that monster pot! He made a deep run towards the final table, I'm not sure if he cashed.

This was the most fun I've ever had at a tournament where I didn't win a single pot. Jeff had each pro sign a UMP t-shirt for me, and I walked out all smiles.


Jeff K- the tournament organizer




Pete S. - owner of Kickers
and yours truly

2 comments:

jeff said...

Hey Michelle, Jeff here from Krazy Kopz. That was one great tournament. The Pros/Celebs that attended were 68 World series MVP and Cy Young Winner Denny Mclain, NHL Slapshot legend Al Iafrate, NHL and 94 Olympic team member Dave Roberts, NHL and Detroit great John Ogrodnick, NHL and former enforcer Chris Tamer, Current NHL Stand out James Wisnewski, Former NY Jet Rob Spicer, Radio Personalities Linda Lee WYCD and Terry T Brown WWJ and of course former NFL's most accurate Placekicker Pete Stoyonovich.

Coming.....We were asked by the Detroit Red Wings Alumni to host another Joes vs Pros. As always we will keep you posted on this one.

Jeff said...

Michelle,
The list of Pros/Celeb's that appeared at the event were 68 World Series MVP/CY Young winner Denny Mclain, Former NHL Slapshot Legend Al Iafrate, Former NHL and 94 Olympic Team Member Dave Roberts, Former NHL Enforcer Chris Tamer, Current NHL Standout james Wisnewski, Former NY Jet Rob Spicer, Former Detroit Great John Ogrdonick, Radio Personalities Linda Lee WYCD and Terry T Brown WWJ News Radio.

Stay tuned for more JOES vs PROS tournament's for the Make a Wish Foundation and the Detroit Red Wings Alumni.