UMP's Fan Box (Facebook)

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ask the Newbie: Why do some people wear dark sunglasses to play hold'em?

Ask the Newbie
by Lisa Bannon

Question:
Why do some people wear dark sunglasses to play hold'em?

Answer:
Usually I am not exactly certain of my answers. This time, I truely know the answer. Some people think it is becasue the wearer of the light filtering attire is attempting to hide their "tells". This is completely untrue - the wearer of the patently dark eye wear is actively attempting to see their CARDS better. One time, in a tournament I accidently bluffed my way into a pot. I was *not* attempting to bluff though. I had (because of a glare on my card) mistakenly bet on a flush that in reality I did NOT have. Although I did win that pot, I wouldnot recommend playing in this manner. I think that the next time I play I will bring along the darkest sunglasses I can purchase. This way, I will not mistake a diamond for a heart because of a light reflection on my shiney new card.

No comments: